School meals at Alder Community High School are provided by Mellors Catering Services.
We strongly believe that healthy eating and good hydration will improve student performance and concentration and we pride ourselves on using locally sourced seasonal produce to provide the best quality food for your child.
Students are able to purchase drinks and breakfast items such as toast and bagels before school and at break time.
At lunchtime weekly menus provided by Mellors Catering Services have been planned to offer choice and variety for your child at an affordable price. We provide hot wholesome meals daily which include fresh vegetables, a vegetarian choice, hot and cold desserts, snacks and sandwiches, juices and drinks. We also provide exciting high street food concepts and promote a range of popular Meal Deals in all areas of the dining room.
Special dietary information
Please contact the school office if there are any specific dietary requirements we need to be aware of.
If students prefer, they can bring a healthy packed lunch but this should not contain fizzy drinks.
Free School Meals
If you are in receipt of one of the following benefits your child may be eligible to receive a free school meal:
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
As we operate a cashless catering system, free schools meals are issued discretely so that no other students can possibly know that an individual is receiving a free school meal. Even the individual student does not need to be aware that this is the case. To make an application for free school meals you can complete the form online using the link below or contact the school office.